" It doesn't matter if the mold is toxic or not. Since it is very difficult to distinguish harmful molds like Stachybotrys chartarum from benign ones without resorting to lab tests, it is safer to treat any greenish or blackish patches with prejudice. Even the term ""benign"" is probably giving molds too much credit because seemingly harmless mold spores can still cause adverse reactions like allergies or asthma attacks.If left unchecked, mold infestation cause a number of diseases that aren 't limited to respiratory ailments. Skin and eye irritation is fairly common, although fevers can also be contracted. Homeowners also have to deal with the physical damage molds can inflict upon furniture and personal items, especially those made from wood or paper. "